Tuesday, March 20, 2012

.....invisible....

I have to admit, I like sitting behind my compute. It puts me in control, I see what I want to see, I talk when I want to talk, I learn what I want to learn and I do what I want to do. It is pretty good.
Sometimes I can choose to see beautiful things, and choose to see things that make my heart ache for the hurting in the world. Sometimes I talk to people and have really good and fruitful conversations. Sometimes I learn very interesting things and can stay connected with the world outside the bubble in which I find myself most often. I can learn things and hear things that are beyond what I would learn else where. And sometimes, I can accomplish a lot while behind my computer, usually after I close facebook and stuff...
Yet there is a trend that I notice in myself, that when I sit myself down, time flies by and my heart grows cold. There is a sense of safety from behind the computer, it is safe and there is no one to pull at my heart and so I become more apathetic by the hour, soon I am tired and head off to bed accomplishing little in the way of any real connection with people.
It is powerful I think, the computer, the internet. It lets us do so much, so much freedom and time to do everything, but I think that there is a point that it becomes a hindrance, I will never like that picture on facebook as much as I would like to see that face or scene in person.
Maybe I ought to log off.

No comments:

Post a Comment