Wednesday, January 2, 2019

I Resolve to Pray

As we begin the new year many make resolutions. Be more healthy, save money, study more, be happier or something else. Resolutions are a fresh start. The old year has finished and we are looking forward to something new. As Christians, we too look forward to something new. God is continuing to create something new in us, and we don’t have to wait until January 1st for God to start His work.
This new year, I resolve to pray. Not because I don’t already, but I have become distracted. And when I don’t pray I am less aware of how God is working in me. In Paul’s letter to the church in Thessalonica, he writes, “Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances.” My resolve to pray isn’t just before I eat or before I sleep, it is a resolve that prayer might be something that is woven into the way that I live.
              Yes, I am going to fail at this. But the grace of God is incredible that I don’t have to wait to next year to start again. Pray continually. And when I realize that I have become distracted, pray again. And through all of this may I see, just a little more clearly, the hand of God working.

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 

16 Rejoice always, 17 pray continually, 18 give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment